The Epilepsy Section furthers patient care, research, and teaching in the area of epilepsy.
James W. Wheless, MD, FAAN, FAAPChair
Mary ColemanAdministrator, Surveys and Research
Epilepsy Section Offerings and Awards
The Epilepsy Section Meeting and Highlights in the Field Presentation has been scheduled!
A listing of all epilepsy–related courses at the 2013 AAN Annual Meeting in San Diego.
Help support neurologic research by participating in the Run/Walk Section Challenge! Or, start your mornings off with cardio tennis.
Frequently asked questions that patients and referring clinicians might have about epilepsy monitoring.
This program seeks to promote and improve the care of persons in the Americas living with epilepsy, through education, advocacy and research. PECA aims specifically to support and expand exchange programs between the members of the Latin American Commission, the North American Commission and the Caribbean chapters of the ILAE, in order to significantly impact epilepsy care in these regions.
The AAN is looking for practices, hospitals and /or systems that are using the AAN developed epilepsy measures.
The AAN develops clinical practice guidelines to assist its members in clinical decision making related to the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of neurologic disorders. Each guideline makes specific practice recommendations based upon a rigorous and comprehensive evaluation of all available scientific data.
A detailed description, facts on treatment and prognosis, and patient organization contact information for epilepsy.
The Susan S. Spencer Clinical Research Circle supports fellowships for clinical research in memory of Dr. Spencer and her commitment to fund young researchers.
This award recognizes physicians in the early stages of their careers who have made an independent contribution to epilepsy research. The award is named for two epileptologists who made outstanding contributions to the field of epilepsy.
Read epilepsy-related articles in the Academy's journal Neurology.
Epilepsy Advocacy Issues:
- Academy Signs Letter Supporting Senate Version of Epilepsy Center Legislation
- Ensuring Coverage and Access to AEDs
- Mandatory Reporting: Seizures and Driving
- Traumatic Brain Injury and its Impact on America's Veterans
Epilepsy Patient Safety Tips
- Epileptic patients may be injured while cooking
- Family/caregiver education can help improve safety for patients with epilepsy
- Monitoring and tracking AED levels is both a patient safety and quality of care issue
- Secondary injuries can occur to patients with epilepsy from household environmental hazards