The AAN Grassroots Alliance is a new program in select states* that allows you to advocate directly for your profession and patients.
As an Alliance participant, you will:
- Take a greater role in the advocacy process
- Build and leverage your relationships with key policymakers
- Strengthen the awareness of neurology and its legislative issues at the state and federal level
The AAN Grassroots Alliance is a new program that will ask participants to take a more proactive approach in our advocacy efforts by helping educate and build trustworthy relationships with key policymakers, all while strengthening the awareness of neurology and its legislative issues.
Learn more! View the Alliance Webinar. (Recording)
In an era where legislators are inundated with information from groups and specialties representing all walks of life, it is important to build positive and respectful relationships with elected officials and their staff to get anything accomplished.
The Alliance will allow participants to take a more active approach in our advocacy efforts.
Fact: The most important and influential voice an elected official hears is that of their constituents.
- Information and concerns conveyed by constituents can greatly influence a policymaker’s position. A survey of congressional staff conducted by the Congressional Management Foundation found that constituent visits to the Washington office (95%) and to the district/state office (94%) have ‘some’ or ‘a lot’ of influence on an undecided Member, more than any other influence group or strategy.
Fact: As a patient care provider you are a reliable source when it comes to health care.
- Lawmakers come from all walks of life, with most of them not having the same level of expertise on health care as a physician. They rely on the experts. This is where members of the Alliance come in. Our focus is to build positive relationships with key policymakers and staff at both the state and federal levels so if and when an issue arises, you will be a trustworthy source.
Fact: The best advocate for neurology is a neurologist.
- Because if we don’t, then who will? Neurology has no better champion than you.
Alliance participants in each participating state will be asked to do one or more of the following:
- Submit letters-to-the-editor to your local paper
- Speak to neurology’s issues with legislators and in front of committees.
- Speak to neurology’s issues at state neurosociety meetings or state medical associations
- Connect with elected officials through social media
- Host a site visit at your practice
- Attend a local fundraiser on behalf of BrainPAC
- Represent the AAN in front of policymakers at the state capitol
Alliance members from each participating state will act as a team and represent neurology to federal and state legislators and staff.
We expect participants to:
- Understand the pending issues affecting neurology
- Understand the AAN’s legislative positions
- Consult with the AAN for questions and strategy
Interested in joining the Alliance? Apply here.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact:
|Tim Miller||Dave Showers|
Use this online form to let us know how you are taking action as an Alliance participant.
*Participating states include Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.