AAN Supports Joining Forces
The American Academy of Neurology, dozens of other medical associations and 130 medical schools are partnering in the White House's Joining Forces initiative.
Joining Forces will help physicians meet the unique health care needs of returning service members, veterans and their families.
The Academy believes that our veterans deserve the best possible care and treatment for neurologic injuries sustained in their service to our country. The conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan have resulted in significant numbers of combat veterans who have suffered traumatic brain injury (TBI).
TBI is associated with cognitive dysfunction, post-traumatic epilepsy, headaches, and other motor and sensory neurologic complications.
The American Academy of Neurology has the following tools and resources available on TBI:
Resources for Physicians and Patients
- Read the AAN's Letter of Support of Joining Forces (.pdf)
- AAN's Position Statement on Traumatic Brain Injury (.pdf)
- Traumatic Brain Injury symptoms, treatment options, causes, prognosis and research support organizations
Resources from Continuum: Lifelong Learning in Neurology®
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Update Continuum: Lifelong Learning in Neurology®, Traumatic Brain Injury Issue, December 2010
- Rehabilitation in the Patient with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Continuum: Lifelong Learning in Neurology®, Traumatic Brain Injury Issue, December 2010
- To purchase the December 2010 Traumatic Brain Injury issue of Continuum, contact Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins at 1-800-361-0633 or order online.
Resources from other AAN Publications:
- New National Treatment Center for Soldiers with TBI and PTSD Opens Neurology Today
- TBI Associated With Major Depression: Screening for Depression Urged Neurology Today
- Saving Sergeant Radke Neurology Now
- Press Release: Study Shows New Treatment for Traumatic Brain Injury Shows Promise in Animals (February 19, 2012)
- Press Release: Soldiers with Brain Injuries at Higher Risk of Epilepsy Decades Later (July 19, 2010)
- Press Release: Study Shows Brain Injuries Tied to Trouble Sleeping (May 24, 2010)
- Press Release: For Iraq Veterans, Headaches Continue After Traumatic Brain Injury (February 23, 2009)
About Joining Forces
Joining Forces is a comprehensive national initiative launched by First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden to mobilize all sectors of society to give our service members and their families the opportunities and support they have earned. Joining Forces will help call attention to the critical health issues facing veterans and military families, and expand access to wellness programs and resources for military spouses and families.
For more information about Joining Forces, visit www.joiningforces.gov.
Watch the video to learn how Mrs. Obama and Dr. Biden encourage all Americans to recognize the sacrifices that service members make and to show our support for military families in our communities.