AAN Patient Education Materials
The American Academy of Neurology is committed to providing its members with the meaningful resources that they can use to help patients understand their neurological condition.
Neurology Now® magazine is a free patient- and family-focused magazine, with feature stories and regular sections providing helpful information and support to individuals living with neurological diseases.
Brochures, Books, and Posters
Patient education brochures can be purchased and distributed to your patients to introduce them to their diagnosis, the possible causes of their disorder, and possible treatments. Posters are also available for display in your examination rooms.
The AAN also produces a series of books suited for patients and families that offer more detail about such disorders as stroke, migraine, epilepsy, and pain, and how people can learn to live their lives to the fullest with these disorders. Books, brochures, and posters can be ordered through the AAN Store.
AAN Guideline Summaries for Patients
Patient guideline summaries condense essential information from AAN clinical guidelines and offer it a way understandable to patients and their families and caregivers. These can be printed and shared with your patients.
- AAN Patient Guideline Summaries / Adults
- Alzheimer's Disease Guidelines Summary for Patients, Families, and Friends
- Treatments for Refractory Epilepsy: Anti-Epileptic Drugs; Temporal Lobe Localized Neocortical Resections; Vagus Nerve Stimulation
- Efficacy and Tolerability of the New Antiepileptic Drugs, I: Treatment of New Onset Epilepsy
- Efficacy and Tolerability of the New Antiepileptic Drugs, II: Treatment of Refractory Epilepsy
- Screening and Treatment for Depression, Dementia, and Psychosis in Parkinson Disease
- Medical and Surgical Treatment for Motor Fluctuations and Dyskinesia in Parkinson Disease
- Diagnosis, Prognosis, and Treatments for Newly Diagnosed Parkinson Disease
- Therapies for Essential Tremor
- Utility of MRI in Suspected MS
- Utility of Surgical Decompression for Treatment of Diabetic Neuropathy
- Immunotherapy for Guillain-Barré Syndrome
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Treatment of Postherpetic Neuralgia
- Treatment of Nervous System Lyme Disease
- Neutralizing Antibodies to Interferon Beta
- Use of Epidural Steroid Injections to Treat Radicular Lumbosacral Pain
- Evaluating An Apparent Unprovoked First Seizure In Adults
- Assessing Your Risk for Falls
- Use of Botulinum Neurotoxin Injections to Treat Autonomic Disorders and Pain
- Use of Botulinum Neurotoxin Injections to Treat Spasticity
- Use of Botulinum Neurotoxin Injections to Treat Movement Disorders
- AAN Patient Guideline Summaries / Children
- Patient Version: Diagnostic Assessment of the Child with Status Epilepticus
- Pharmacological Treatment of Migraine Headache in Children and Adolescents
- Prediction of Outcome in Comatose Survivors after Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Corticosteroid Treatment of Duchenne Dystrophy
- Diagnostic Assessment of the Child with Cerebral Palsy
- Evaluation of the Child with Global Developmental Delay
- Medical Treatment of Infantile Spasms
- Screening and Diagnosis of Autism
The Brain Matters
The Brain Matters website features the experiences of people living with brain disorders, and provides links to top patient resources.
Neurology Patient Page
The Neurology Patient Page provides a critical review of ground-breaking discoveries in neurological research that are written especially for patients and their families. The page includes up-to-date patient information about many neurological diseases, links to additional information, and resources for neurological patients.
Sensitive But Sensible is a brochure produced by the AAN that discusses the vital role of animal research in the field of neurology. To order the free brochure, please contact AAN Member Services at firstname.lastname@example.org, (800) 879-1960, or (651) 695-2717 (international).