2014 Consortium of Neurology Clerkship Directors Innovation Award
The AAN Neurology Clerkship Directors Innovation Award is intended to acknowledge innovation and creativity in neurology clerkship directors. Clerkship Directors are dedicated educators who devote considerable time and energy to this task, often with little support. Many directors have developed unique tools and instruments to teach medical students, to assess knowledge, and benchmark progress.
This award is meant to recognize individuals who are also developing such new and creative tools for neurology education. Special consideration will be given to those individuals who are using new technologies; finding new ways of engaging medical students; who can demonstrate that their techniques have either increased students’ knowledge of neurologic principles, or have increased the number of students entering post-graduate training in neurology.
• One recipient will be selected annually to receive the AAN Neurology Clerkship Directors Innovation Award. If no applicant meets the award criteria, the award will not be given in that year.
• Nominations for the 2014 award will be accepted until October 1, 2013 (11:59 pm Central Daylight Time). Application materials are due by October 15, 2013 (11:59 pm Central Daylight Time). Selection will be made in February 2014.
• Nominations and applications should be inclusive and minorities are encouraged to apply.
• Clerkship Directors can nominate themselves or be nominated.
Nominations MUST include:
• Letter of recommendation
Applications MUST include:
• The nominee’s CV
• A portfolio specifically detailing the innovations for which the Clerkship Director has been nominated
• A statement from the nominee describing the innovation, outlining the development of the innovation, how it is being used currently, and any future potential applications of the innovation
• A letter of support from either the nominee’s department Chair or an Administrator or Dean from the nominee’s home institution
Other materials which are not required, but will be used to judge the nominee’s application might include:
• Letter of interest
• A letter of support from a student who has benefited from the instrument
• External validation or feedback of the instrument
• Letters of support from directors/ educators who have used the instrument
Note: If more than one letter of support from student, directors, or educators is submitted, please combine documents into one pdf to upload.
• Nominees must have an Active AAN membership. An active member is defined as a physician certified in neurology or child neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec.
• Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
• Previous applications (non recipients) may be considered in the current year’s applications; previous applications must be resubmitted.
• Nominees must be a current Clerkship Director who has been in the Clerkship Director position for at least one year. Site Directors and co-Clerkship Directors who have been in their positions for at least one year are also eligible.
• Individuals who have received an AAN Clerkship Director Innovation Award within the previous three years are not eligible for the 2014 award.
Nominations accepted until October 1, 2013. Application materials accepted until October 15, 2013.
For additional questions, please contact: Nancy Poechmann, Manager, Education & Travel, at
email@example.com or (612) 928-6103.