2014 Consortium of Neurology Clerkship Directors Teaching Award
The AAN Neurology Clerkship Directors Teaching Award is intended to acknowledge the educational efforts of neurology clerkship directors. Clerkship Directors are dedicated teachers who devote considerable time and energy to this task, often with little support. Many directors have developed extensive curricula, teaching tools, and outcome assessments to enhance neurology education.
The award is meant to recognize individuals who have dedicated themselves to neurology education and to creating not only future generations of neurologists but also teaching neurology to students choosing other disciplines.
• One recipient will be selected annually to receive the AAN Neurology Clerkship Directors Teaching Award. If no applicant meets the award criteria, the award will not be given in that year.
• Nominations for the 2014 award will be accepted until October 1, 2013 (11:59 pm Central Daylight Time). Application materials are due by October 15, 2013 (11:59 pm Central Daylight Time). Selection will be made in February 2014.
• Nominations and applications should be inclusive and minorities are encouraged to apply.
• Clerkship Directors can nominate themselves or be nominated.
Nominations MUST include:
• Letter of recommendation
Applications MUST include:
• The nominee’s CV
• A statement describing measured outcomes, educational instruments, or teaching innovations developed by the nominee
• A letter of support from either the nominee’s department Chair or an Administrator or Dean from the nominee’s home institution
Other materials which are not required, but will be used to judge the nominee’s application might include:
• Letter of interest
• Documentation of success of the clerkship or external validation of teaching tools used by the program
• Letter(s) of support from directors or educators who have worked with the Clerkship Director and recognize his or her excellence in teaching or educational innovations
Note: If more than one letter of support from student, directors, or educators is submitted, please combine documents into one pdf to upload.
• Nominees must have an Active AAN membership. An active member is defined as a physician certified in neurology or child neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec.
• Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
• Previous applications (non recipients) may be considered in the current year’s applications; previous applications must be resubmitted.
• Nominees must be a current Clerkship Director who has been in the Clerkship Director position for at least one year. Site Directors and co-Clerkship Directors who have been in their positions for at least one year are also eligible.
• Individuals who have received an AAN Clerkship Director Teaching Award within the previous three years are not eligible for the 2013 award.
Nominations accepted until October 1, 2013. Application materials accepted until October 15, 2013.
For additional questions, please contact: Nancy Poechmann, Manager, Education & Travel, at
firstname.lastname@example.org or (612) 928-6103.