Friday, July 14
Concussion Boot Camp
8:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
Pre-participation/Baseline Evaluation and Tools
Meeryo Choe, MD, Los Angeles, CA
Anthony Alessi, MD, FAAN, Norwich, CT
Vestibular & Balance Examination
Jamie Bogle, PhD, Scottsdale, AZ
Steven Galetta, MD, FAAN, New York, NY
Office Follow-up and Management Examination
Bert Vargas, MD, FAAN, Dallas, TX; and Emily Middleton, D.P.T.
11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Animal Modeling of Repetitive Concussion and CTE
William P. Meehan III, MD, Boston, MA
- Description: This presentation will provide background information as well as limitations about what we know regarding CTE. Discussions will include how we are influenced by the media and how this influence, in part, shapes the way we interpret the medical literature. It will also focus on animal modeling, the formation of an abnormal form of tau after trauma, the associations with tau and behavior outcomes, and testing of an antibody that blocks the abnormal form of tau and its progression.
- Keynote Speaker Bio: William P. Meehan III, MD, is director of the Micheli Center for Sports Injury Prevention, director of research for the Brain Injury Center at Boston Children's Hospital, and co-director of The Football Players Health Study at Harvard. He graduated from Harvard Medical School where he is currently an associate professor of pediatrics and orthopaedics. He conducts both clinical and scientific research in the area of sports injuries and concussive brain injury. His research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Center for the Integration of Medicine and Innovative Technology, the National Football League Players Association, the National Football League, and the National Hockey League Alumni Association. He is the 2012 winner of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine's award for Best Overall Research. He has multiple medical and scientific publications, is co-editor of the book, Head and Neck Injuries in Young Athletes, and is author of the books Kids, Sports, and Concussion: A Guide for Coaches and Parents, and Concussions.
Working Lunch with Breakouts
12:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Professional Sports
Javier Cardenas, MD, Phoenix, AZ; Tad Seifert, MD, Louisville, KY
- Collegiate Sports
Tracey Covassin, PhD, ATC, East Lansing, MI; Steven Broglio, PhD, Ann Arbor, MI
- High School Sports
Meeryo Choe, MD, Los Angeles, CA; Munro Cullum, PhD, Dallas, TX
- Youth Sports
Christina Master, MD, FAAP, CASQM, Philadelphia, PA; Sara Chrisman, MD, MPH, Seattle, WA
- Practice Issues
Amaal Starling, MD, Phoenix, AZ; Jennifer Wethe, PhD, Scottsdale, AZ
1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
Christopher Giza, MD, Los Angeles, CA
- Sideline Care
Javier Cardenas, MD, Phoenix, AZ
- Sex and Gender
Tracey Covassin, PhD, ATC, East Lansing, MI
- Concussion Management and Return to Participation
Jeffrey Kutcher, MD, FAAN, Brighton, MI
3:45 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
- ConTex: The Texas Concussion Network
Munro Cullum, PhD, Dallas, TX
- Clinical Updates from the CARE Consortium
Steven Broglio, PhD, ATC, Ann Arbor, MI
- Pediatric Issues in Youth Sports
Sara Chrisman, MD, MPH, Seattle, WA
Reception and Poster Session I in Exhibit Hall
5:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
Saturday, July 15
8:00 a.m.-9:15 a.m.
- Sleep Disturbances
Raman Malhotra MD, FAAN, St. Louis, MO
- Post-traumatic Headache
Tad Seifert, MD, Louisville, KY
Poster Session II in Exhibit Hall
9:15 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
Post-concussion Syndrome (Continued)
10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
- Dizziness & Cervicogenic Issues
Terry D. Fife, MD, FAAN, Phoenix, AZ
- Education & Outreach
Johna Register-Mihalik, PhD, LAT, ATC, Chapel Hill, NC
Lunch and Poster Session II in Exhibit Hall
11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
12:30 p.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Exercise & Basic Science
Grace Griesbach, PhD, Los Angeles, CA
- Chronic Neurocognitive Impairment and Combat Sports
Charles Bernick, MD, Cleveland, OH
- Predictors of Prolonged Symptoms after Concussion - The 5P Study
Karen Barlow, MD, Calgary, AB, Canada
Poster Discussion Session
2:00 p.m.-2:45 p.m.
3:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Samantha Peszek
Olympic Medalist and NCAA Champion
PAC-12 Network Analyst
- Eric Adelson
Writer, Yahoo! Sports
4:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Youth Contact Sports
Robert Cantu, MA, MD, FACS, FACSM, Concord, MA Vernon Williams, MD, Los Angeles, CA
Sunday, July 16
8:15 a.m.-9:45 a.m.
- Behavioral Comorbidities
Jennifer Wethe, PhD, Scottsdale, AZ
- Diagnostic Approach to Traumatic Encephalopathy Syndrome
Nicole Reams, MD, Glenview, IL
- Programmatic Approach to the Tri-Diagnosis Patient
Jeffrey Kutcher, MD, Brighton, MI
Summary of Recent Research
9:45 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Basic Science
Christopher Giza, MD, Los Angeles, CA
- Clinical Science
Christina Master, MD, FAAP, CAQSM, Philadelphia, PA