Position and Policy Documents
Review AAN and AAN-endorsed policy statements, position statements, and position papers.
- Download position and policy documents
- Abuse and Violence (2012)
- Administration of IV tPA (2011)
- Assisted Suicide, Euthanasia, and the Neurologist (1998)
- Anticonvulsant Drug Coverage (2006)
- Artificial Nutrition and Hydration (2006)
- Availability of Disease Modifying Therapies (DMT) for Treatment of Relapsing Forms of Multiple Sclerosis (2015)
- Chronic Pain (2001)
- Clinical Research in Neurology (1998)
- Definition of Neurology Subspecialty (2012)
- Direct-to-Consumer Advertising (2001)
- Driving Competence (2007)
- Electromyography (EMG) as a Practice of Medicine (2004)
- Genetic Testing Alert (1996)
- Humanistic Dimensions of Professionalism in the Practice of Neurology (2001)
- Life-Sustaining Treatment (2007)
- Mandatory Reporting (2006)
- Medical Marijuana (2014)
- Mobile Electrodiagnostic Laboratories Provide Substandard Patient Care (2015)
- Neurology Advanced Practice Providers (2015)
- On-Call Reimbursement for Neurologists (2013)
- Opioids for Chronic Noncancer Pain (2014)
- Palliative Care in Neurology (March 1996)
- Persistent Vegetative State Patient (1989)
- Profoundly and Irreversibly Paralyzed Patients with Retained Consciousness and Cognition (1993)
- Principles of Neuroimaging Training, Guidelines, and Practice (2008)
- Recommend Policy for Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Responding to Requests from Adult Patients for Neuroenhancements (2009)
- Sports that Include Intentional Trauma to the Brain (2008)
- Sports Concussion (2013)
- Stem Cell Research (2004)
- Stroke Care (2010)
- Stroke Medical Director Reimbursement (2012)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (2007)
- Telemedicine (2014)
A policy statement is a short declaration, not exceeding 250 words, stating the Academy's position on a certain issue. A policy statement does not require an explanation of rationale behind the statement or supporting evidence.
A position statement is a concise explanation of the Academy's position on a certain issue that includes background information and the rationale behind the Academy's position. The position statement, generally not exceeding 1,000 words, is in-depth and must reference all supporting evidence.
A position paper is the most complete analysis of an issue. Position papers may be printed in one of the AAN's publications, which has editorial independence and is not obligated to publish any papers or statements.
Prior to 2012, the Academy's definitions were different from the above. Accordingly, position and policy documents produced prior to November 2012 might not conform to the above definitions.