Electronic Prescribing Incentive Program
The Medicare Electronic Prescribing (eRx) Incentive Program ended in 2013, but electronic prescribing continues through the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs.
- Electronic Prescribing
Electronic prescribing (eRx):
- Is the transmission of prescriptions through electronic media.
- Is between the prescriber, dispenser, pharmacy benefit manager, or health plan.
- Takes place directly or through an intermediary (eRx network).
- Includes two-way transmissions.
Durable Medical Equipment (DME) and over-the-counter medications may be electronically prescribed.
- Earning Incentives
Incentives are no longer available for the Medicare eRx Incentive Program. 2013 was the last year to earn an incentive payment.
- Avoiding payment adjustment
The Medicare eRx Incentive Program ended in 2013, and the last reporting period to avoid a penalty for the program was January 1, 2013-June 30, 2013. 2014 is the last year to incur an eRx penalty.
- Program exemptions
Eligible professionals can request a review of their 2014 eRx penalty determination between November 1, 2013 and February 28, 2014 for all reporting methods (claims, registry, or qualified EHR reporting).
- Hardship exemption categories for the 2014 payment adjustment included:
- Rural areas with limited high speed internet access.
- Areas with limited available pharmacies for eRx.
- Inability to eRx due to local, state, or Federal law or regulation.
- EP who prescribe fewer than 100 prescriptions during a 6-month period.
- Achieving meaningful use between January 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012, or January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012.
- Intent to participate in the EHR Incentive Program and adoption of Certified EHR Technology for 2014 by June 30, 2013.
The deadline to submit a hardship exemption request to avoid the 2013 payment adjustment was January 31, 2013.
- Contact CMS with questions
Contact CMS about the Medicare eRx Incentive Program.
QualityNet Help Desk - 7:00am -7:00pm CST
Phone: (866) 288-8912
TTY: (877) 715-6222
- eRx tools
- Submit 2014 Payment Adjustment Informal Review
Eligible professionals and groups reporting through the Group Practice Reporting Option (GPRO) who wish to request an informal review of the 2014 eRx payment adjustment they are receiving can do so by contacting CMS at eRxInformalReview@cms.hhs.gov.Be sure to use the listed steps requested by CMS when submitting the informal review request.