Breaking News from Washington
Congress Passes FAST Act
February 9, 2018
After a brief government shutdown, Congress passed a continuing resolution to maintain government funding until March 23 and agreed on budget parameters that significantly increase total government funding for 2018 and 2019.
The bill contains several significant priorities of the AAN, including the final passage of the Furthering Access to Stroke Telemedicine (FAST) Act!
Thank you to all of our AAN member advocates and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for their hard work in ensuring this important legislation was enacted.
The budget resolution also addressed other major AAN priorities including:
- $2 billion increase for the National Institutes of Health for 2018-2019
- $6 billion to combat the opioid crisis
- Elimination of the Independent Payment Advisory Board, a provision of the Affordable Care Act that greatly threatened physician Medicare payments and access to care for patients
- Extended the Children’s Health Insurance Plan for another four years, to a total of 10 years
- Permanently repealed the therapy caps that threatened rehabilitation services