Informed Decision Making
Browse AAN resources designed to help patients understand their diagnosis and make treatment decisions with their doctor.
SHARED DECISION-MAKING TOOLS
Shared decision-making helps patients and their health care providers make decisions together. Health care decisions should consider the best evidence and the patient's health care goals.
- SHARED DECISION-MAKING TOOLS BY TOPIC
Guidelines are summaries of what we know about different tests and treatments for health problems. Guidelines are based on research and written in scientific language. They involve specific steps to develop, and include input from experts such as doctors, other health providers, and patients. Browse all AAN Guidelines.
- AAN Guidelines by Topic
GUIDELINE PATIENT SUMMARIES
Many of the AAN's evidence-based guidelines are available in summary format for patients and their caregivers and families. Browse all AAN Patient Summaries.
- Top Nine Accessed Patient Summaries
- Treatment of Lyme Disease
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Multiple Sclerosis
- Therapies for Essential Tremor
- Global Developmental Delay
- Plasmapheresis (Plasma Exchange)
- Medical Marijuana in Multiple Sclerosis
- Determining Brain Death in Adults
- Medical Treatment of Infantile Spasms
- Predicting Outcome in Coma Survivors After CPR
COMMENT ON GUIDELINES IN DEVELOPMENT
When developing new guidelines or updating existing ones, the AAN asks for input from the public. Patients are encouraged to comment. View and comment on Guidelines open for public comment.
TRANSLATED GUIDELINES AND PATIENT SUMMARIES
Several AAN guidelines and guideline patient summaries are available in languages other than English.
The Choosing Wisely® campaign is designed to help consumers and physicians engage in conversations about the overuse of particular tests, procedures, and treatments, and to help patients make smart and effective care choices.