Capitol Hill Report:Canadian Border Can't Keep out US Politics and Policy!
April 11, 2016
Annual Meeting Public Policy Events for You-and More
By Mike Amery, Esq., Senior Legislative Counsel, Federal Affairs
We're in the midst of one of the most incredible national elections in memory, and the results could have wide-reaching effects on health policy and the practice of medicine. The 2016 AAN Annual Meeting kicks off this week, so if you are going to be in Vancouver come get involved in all of the events surrounding policy and politics. Even if you can't make any of the sessions below, come see Derek Brandt and me at the BrainPAC booth. We would be happy to talk about AAN advocacy efforts and politics as well.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Leadership in Neurology - Be a Champion for Your Patients and Protector of Your Specialty with Payers, Policymakers, and the Public
- Saturday, April 16
- 6:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
- Director: Elaine Jones, MD, FAAN
- Policy, Politics, and Presidential Polls - The AAN is on Capitol Hill in Washington every day. Come talk to the AAN's lobbyists about policy and politics in DC. Voice your positions on some issues and pick a favorite candidate in a presidential straw poll.
- Sunday, April 17
- 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m
- Speakers: Mike Amery, Senior Legislative Counsel, Federal Affairs, and Derek Brandt, Senior Congressional Affairs Representative
- BrainPAC Reception
- Tuesday, April 19
- 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional details.
But that's not all! Throughout the entire Annual Meeting there will be talk on policies such as business strategies, coding, quality measurement, Axon Registry, and much more at the Real World of Neurology and the I Talk stage.
Annual Meeting Zika Virus Session
Another policy event at the Annual Meeting will be a Hot Topics Plenary Session on the Zika virus on Friday, April 15 at 5:30 p.m. PT. James J. Sejvar, MD, from the National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will provide the latest update about this virus and the anticipated increase of Zika cases in the US, especially in southern states as the mosquito season starts.
Campaign for Sustainable Rx Pricing
By Elizabeth Bradshaw, MBA, Program Manager, Medical Economics
Last week, the AAN announced formal participation in the National Coalition on Health Care's Campaign for Sustainable Rx Pricing (CSRxP). The AAN is dedicated to supporting neurologists in providing the highest quality care available for their patients and that includes finding ways to help their patients maintain access to the best medications. By becoming part of the conversation with the CSRxP, our goal is to have an opportunity to influence drug pricing in a positive way and represent what is best for our members and their patients.