Special capitol hill Report: Major Victory for Neurology in CMS Proposed Medicare Fee Schedule
July 8, 2016
The AAN works everyday to develop a proactive relationship with officials at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Over the past year, AAN staff have met regularly with leadership at CMS, submitted comment letters, and joined with stakeholder groups to amplify the voice of neurologists before federal officials. These regulatory advocacy efforts continue to pay off and neurologists should see several positive effects from the 2017 Medicare payment policy.
According to its proposals issued on July 7, 2016, CMS has suggested these beneficial changes advocated for by the AAN:
- A 1% increase in overall Medicare spending is projected for neurology.
- New add-on code that improves payment for visits that initiate chronic care management (CCM) services
- Increased payment for complex CCM codes
- Payment for assessing and creating care plan for beneficiaries with cognitive impairment
- Proposed payments for critical care consultations furnished via telehealth