Special Capitol Hill Report: AAN Scores Big Wins in Final 2018 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule
November 3, 2017
AAN's Regulatory Advocacy Efforts Earn Big Wins for Neurology in Final 2018 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule
AAN leaders and staff have developed a proactive relationship with officials at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). As a result of continued meetings, comment letters, and advocacy efforts, neurologists should see several positive effects from the 2018 Medicare payment policy.
According to its rule issued on November 2, 2017, CMS has finalized these beneficial changes advocated for by the AAN:
- A stable impact in overall Medicare spending is projected for neurology
- A permanent CPT code, 99483, for the assessment of and care planning for patients with cognitive impairment
- Reduced reporting requirements and penalties under CMS quality program
- An opportunity to provide ideas to reduce red tape and complexity in Medicare
- Further delay of Appropriate Use Criteria until 2020, an extra year from the proposed rule
Learn how additional provisions affect neurology. You also can register for the AAN's free webinar: New Year, New Rules: Preparing for 2018.