About the Palatucci Advocacy Leadership Forum
Find out how the AAN’s Palatucci Advocacy Leadership Forum will change your life.
The Palatucci Advocacy Leadership Forum teaches neurologists how to:
- Promote state and federal legislation
- Be more confident in front of the camera
- Develop coalitions
- Organize and reinvigorate state neurological societies
- Lobby for fair reimbursement
- Help draft position statements that affect future legislation
Experienced advocate coaches and staff will assist you with preparing your action plan for optimum success, and you will network with AAN leadership and other committed colleagues.
- Palatucci Name History
- The Palatucci Advocacy Leadership Forum honors the memory of AAN Board of Directors Member Donald M. Palatucci, MD.
- Applicant Qualifications
The Academy is seeking members who have a clear passion, strong leadership potential and are willing to serve as a key advocacy contact.
Students, first-year residents, and senior members are not eligible to apply.
- Applicant Selection
Applications are evaluated by members of the Academy's Government Relations Committee and Academy staff, who look for:
- Strong leadership potential
- Good character
- Passion for the profession and patients
- Desire to make organizational change
- Strategic thinking and planning skills
- Effective communication
- Ability to motivate others and collaborate/network
The Academy will select up to 30 members each year - 28 US members and two international members.
- Palatucci Forum Application Information
Members apply to the Palatucci Advocacy Leadership Forum online by providing their background information, a summary of their advocacy and leadership experience, and responses to the following application questions:
- What issue affecting neurology or neurology patients motivated you to apply?
- What would you like to accomplish as an advocate?
- How do you envision applying the skills you'll learn to have significant impact on yourself, your patients, or the neurology profession?
- What are the important messages that need to be heard by the public and policy makers regarding your issue?
- As a busy professional, how will you make time to pursue your issue?
- Give an example of your leadership experience, including any obstacles you've had to overcome.
- Keys to an Exceptional Application
- Describe how you possess the desire, skills, and knowledge to make change
- Tell a story that exhibits your passion
- Outline examples of your strategic thinking and planning skills
- Give an example of your perseverance and dedication
- Demonstrate your ability to collaborate with outside groups
- Give an example of motivating your peers to join you
- Attain Skills
- Action Planning: Create an effective plan that identifies your issue and resolves the problem
- Media Relations: Sharpen your on camera interview skills, work with reporters, and improve your confidence
- Grassroots Advocacy: Get an inside look at how governments work and how to get results
From the time of acceptance, you will expected to be an active participant in the Academy's advocacy community by:
- Attending all of the planned activities
- Completing an advocacy action plan
- Reporting on online advocacy forums
- Serving as a key contact for the Academy on vital issues
- The AAN covers all expenses. All travel is arranged through the Academy's travel agency. Guests must pay their own way and can accompany participants to select events but can't attend day-to-day activities. Be advised that the Palatucci Advocacy Leadership Forum may be funded in whole or in part from a transfer of value made from a Manufacturer to the AAN.
This program is sponsored in part by support from Allergan, Inc., Sanofi Genzyme, and Teva Neuroscience.
- Other leadership opportunities
- Graduates of the forum are eligible to apply to serve as advisor to an incoming class of advocates. Up to nine graduates are selected.
- Other advocacy programs
Neurology on the Hill takes place in the spring in Washington, DC. Applications for this program are accepted in the fall. Like the Palatucci Forum, no prior advocacy experience is needed to apply.