Updates on Zika Virus
Please refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for the most up-to-date information on Zika virus and Zika virus disease.
The Zika Care Connect website contains information to help pregnant women and families find the appropriate healthcare professional and resources that can address their specific needs. Explore the resources and information available on the Zika Care Connect website.
Zika Virus Articles and Publications
Read reviewed articles from AAN journals that highlight different aspects of the Zika virus.
- Public Health Challenges of the Zika Virus Outbreak: A Neurologist's Perspective.
- What Is Guillain-Barré Syndrome?: A new study provides the strongest link between this neurologic disorder and the Zika virus. Here's more about the syndrome and the research.
- Additional Articles and Publications
- Without Borders
- Zika Virus Infection and Myasthenia Gravis: Report of 2 Cases March 14, 2017
- Zika Virus: What the Neurologist Wants to Know April 5, 2016
- News From the Battlefront: Zika Virus-associated Guillain-Barré Syndrome in Brazil October 11, 2016
- Acute Zika Infection With Concurrent Onset of Guillain-Barré Syndrome October 11, 2016
- Zika Virus-associated Guillain-Barré Syndrome Variant in Haiti July 19, 2016
- Cranial Bone Collapse in Microcephalic Infants Prenatally Exposed to Zika Virus Infection July 5, 2016
- Neurology Today®
- Epidemiologists Are Tracking Possible Links Between Zika Virus, Microcephaly, and Guillain-Barré Syndrome February 18, 2016
- Cellular Studies of Zika Virus Offer Clues to a Potential Mechanism for Microcephaly - and a Therapeutic Target April 7, 2016
- As the Zika Outbreak Reaches US Territories, a Case-Control Study Provides the Strongest Evidence Yet of a Link to Guillain-Barré Syndrome April 7, 2016
- Neurology® Clinical Practice
- Zika Virus Disease for Neurologists December 2016
- Neurology Now®
- AAN Press Release
- Zika Virus May Now Be Tied to Another Brain Disease April 10, 2016
- AAN Annual Meeting On Demand
- Zika Virus: Neurologic Manifestations of the Latest Emerging Pathogens. (You can access the video by selecting Free Plenary Sessions in the top navigation in the link above. The Hot Topics Presentation happened on Friday, April 15, 2016.)
- USA Today
AAN Guideline: Evaluation of the Child with Microcephaly
Current guideline. Reaffirmed on July 13, 2013, and on January 23, 2016.
- Microcephaly Physician Tools and Materials
- Microcephaly Patient Tools and Materials
AAN Guideline: Immunotherapy for Guillain-Barre Syndrome
Current guideline. Reaffirmed on October 15, 2005, August 2, 2008, and July 13, 2013.
- GBS Physician Tools and Materials
- GBS Practice Parameter Summary for Clinicians (English)
- GBS Practice Parameter Summary for Clinicians (Spanish)
- GBS Practice Parameter Presentation Slides
- Practice Parameter Data Tables
- Recorded Webinar, "Diagnosis and Management of GBS," in English, or with Spanish subtitles.
- GBS Patient Tools and Materials