The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 ("MACRA") created a new Quality Payment Program (QPP) that is transforming how providers are paid.
MACRA is a separate piece of legislation from the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare. Unlike the ACA, MACRA passed with wide bipartisan support. Although some components of these laws are intertwined, major changes to the ACA under the new administration will not eliminate MACRA.
Learn More About MIPS
The QPP has two pathways: Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Advanced Alternative Payment Models (APMs):
Choose a path below:
|Providers who meet the APM criteria will receive a 5-percent annual bonus payment and are exempt from MIPS.||MIPS ties Medicare payments to performance by consolidating three existing Medicare incentive programs and adding one new component.|
- Latest Updates
- AAN Tools & Resources
- MACRA Overview
- Navigating MIPS
- Access recording and read Q&A for AAN's Practice Management Webinar, "Decoding the 2017 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule and MACRA Rule."
- Learn New Acronyms Associated with MACRA
- Watch the AAN video series about MACRA
- View Your Guide to MACRA
- Top 5: Things You Can Do Today to Prepare for MACRA
- Contact the AAN with your MACRA Questions
- Read Articles About MACRA
- Tools Will Help Small Practices Succeed Under MACRA (Neurology Today®, April 2017)
- AAN Lobbying Helps Ease Impact of MACRA Changes on Neurologists (AANnews® December 2016)
- MACRA and the Future of Value-based Care (Neurology® Clinical Practice, October 2016)
- Advocating for Neurology
- Non-AAN MACRA Resources
- Support for Small Practices
- Clinicians may contact the Quality Payment Program by calling (866) 288-8292 from 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. ET or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apply to Participate in a Practice Transformation Network
- Review AMA MACRA Resources
- View the Health of Healthcare System video
- Access CMS QPP resources
- AMA: Understanding Medicare Payment Reform