TRANSCENDS Scholar Program Application
The AAN is collaborating with the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) to offer The TRANSCENDS (Training in Research for Academic Neurologists to Sustain Careers and Enhance the Numbers of Diverse Scholars) Scholars program. This program is funded by a National Institutes of Health (NIH) R25 grant and is being administered by MUSC and the AAN. The TRANSCENDS program is designed to train promising early-career neurologists to conduct high-quality neurologic research and achieve a successful academic career.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2017
Please contact us if you have any questions about the application process.
Interested individuals must apply for the program. Up to six will be selected to participate in 2018, with more positions available in subsequent years. Selected participants will receive:
- A master of science degree in clinical research (preferred) through the Medical University of South Carolina by completing a primarily online two-year course curriculum (38 credit hours) OR a certificate in clinical research through the Medical University of South Carolina by completing a primarily online one-year course curriculum (19 credit hours).
- Mentoring and support in the development of their current research portfolio.
- Preparation, review (by a Mock Study Section), and submission of K-type grant application (required).
- AAN member benefits.
- Opportunities to present research and network with leadership at the AAN Annual Meeting.
Eligibility is limited to those who are disabled and/or belong to an underrepresented minority in neurology including Black/African American, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, Pacific Islander, Native Alaskan, or Hawaiian, and are in any of the following career stages:
- Fellows in a formal neurology sub-specialty training program
- Neurology faculty three years or less from first academic appointment, or
- Neurologists five years or less from completion of residency
Please contact us if you have questions about your eligibility.
The application deadline has passed. The next round of applications will open in Fall 2017. Submit your interest and stay up-to-date on the next application cycle.
- TRANSCENDS Application (required): download the application and complete entirely, including the following fields:
- Describe your past research activities (if any), current research interests and future research plans (300 words or less - figures or graphics can be included in a separate attachment).
- Please provide a Statement of Interest for participation in the program (500 words or less).
Tip: You may find it useful to write your research descriptions and statements of interest in separate documents and paste them into the fields in the application PDF.
- Please include a letter from your department chair or supervisor that expresses the support of your participation in and your time commitment to this program.
- Letter From Department Chair or Supervisor (required): letter should indicate the support of your participation and time commitment to the program.
- Two Letters of Recommendation (required): download the letter of recommendation form. Ensure all fields have been completed by your recommender, including the field for a free form letter of recommendation. Include both letter recommendation forms in your single application email.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume (required)
- Biosketch (encouraged)
Contact us with any questions about the program or the application process.